Beef brisket is one of those cuts of meat, that pound for pound is great value when you want to feed a bunch of people. It definitely requires the "low and slow" approach to cooking it. Low heat for a long period of time. We've included two different methods for preparation; BBQ/Smoker or Slow Cooker. The key to a great brisket is not over cooking it and keeping it covered in sauce while cooking it. We are featuring Four Fathers Cayenne Hot Sauce in this recipe. A great hot sauce makes all the difference to the end result.
Beef Brisket in Beer - Featuring Four Fathers Cayenne Hot Sauce
- 1 fresh beef brisket (2-1/2 to 3 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke, optional
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (BBQ method only)
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (BBQ method only)
- 2 tablespoons Four Fathers Cayenne Hot Sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 can (12 ounces) Settebello Italian Pilsner
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
Directions (for BBQ or Smoker)
- Rinse brisket with cold water and pat dry. Rub brisket with mixture of celery salt, cayenne pepper, black pepper and kosher salt. Combine beer and Worcestershire sauce; Four Fathers Cayenne Hot Sauce. Keep in a bowl with a brush.
- Place brisket in foil tray and put on BBQ with indirect heat. If using wood chips for smoking be sure to soak them ahead of time in cold water. Place a half cup of wood chips on the coals and cover. Every half hour or so brush the brisket with the beer mixture and add another half cup of wood chips to the fire. Cook until the internal temperature reaches 165F.
- Remove brisket and keep warm. Strain cooking juices from the foil pan; transfer to a small saucepan. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Serve beef with gravy and bread and butter pickles.
Directions (for Slow Cooker)
- Cut brisket in half; rub with liquid smoke, if desired, and celery salt, Four Fathers Cayenne Hot Sauce and salt. Place in a 3-qt. slow cooker. Top with onion. Combine beer and Worcestershire sauce; pour over meat. Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or until tender.
- Remove brisket and keep warm. Strain cooking juices; transfer to a small saucepan. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Serve beef with gravy and bread and butter pickles.
For more Cooking with Beer ideas, check out our recipe archive.