Today is Cinco de Mayo and what better way to celebrate Mexico than with a great Mexican dish. Diamond Park Mild is a great beer to add to this recipe. The caramel and mild nutty notes add a bit more dimension to sauce. You could pair the final dish with the Mild or your favourite Lager or Pilsner. Helles Island Lager is always a good choice.
- 2 tbs cornstarch
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 1 chipotle chili in adobo, finely minced
- 2 tbs adobo sauce
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ¾ cup Diamond Park Mild
- 2 large avocados
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 8-10 homemade or good quality corn tortillas
- 1 can (425g) black beans, rinsed and drained
- kernels from one ear of corn
- ¼ cup cotija cheese (optional. Omit for vegan)
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Add the cornstarch, tomato paste and tomato sauce to a pot, whisk until well combined. Add to medium heat, stir in the chipotles, adobo sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, cumin and stout.
- Allow to simmer until slightly thickened, about five minutes.
- In a small bowl mash together the avocados, salt and pepper.
- Heat the tortillas slightly to make them more pliable.
- One at a time spread tortillas with avocado, fill with black beans and corn, roll tightly.
- Place into an 8X8 pan in a tight row.
- Pour the sauce evenly over the pan.
- Bake at 425 for 12-15 minutes or until warm and bubbly.
- Top with remaining ingredients, serve warm
For more great "Cooking With Beer" recipes, check our archive.